>

>

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Using Video in the Classroom - TT#9


The person in the video above is of Chris Hadfield. Chris is a astronaut on the International Space Station (ISS) and he routinely takes requests from budding scientists for what small experiments they should perform while on the space station. This video shows what happens to water when rung out of a clothe. I would use the video to test student knowledge of what they think would happen and why. It would be used an an activation strategy and assessment "for" instruction. I would introduce the video in Grade 9 Science specifically for Cluster 4: Exploring the Universe. I would also introduce the video at a time when the ISS would be travelling through the following night sky so the students could get an idea of where these experiments occur.

I like the use of video in the classroom. It is a powerful way to get content across through a different medium. They provide another dimension to classroom to break up the ordinary. Also, students get a chance to learn from someone other than the class teacher. There are so many great videos out there to enhance the student experience and I will continue to incorporate them into my lessons. One aspect of video/multimedia I have not explored yet is student-created ones. I think it's due to the fact that I don't have my own class yet and I am not a big fan of being in front of the camera. I think I will explore this in the future though for students who enjoy this type presentation. They are a great way to differentiate assessment to the artistically inclined. I would definitely provide the option of voice-over videos though for students who may be too shy. As far as sharing the videos go, I would suggest it to the students and leave it up to a vote. If I had a group that particularly didn't feel comfortable posting their video in a world-wide public forum, I think I would close off the boundaries to maybe a class blog instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment