>

>

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Informative Edublogger - TT#4

So I've following Chris Ludwig for the last few weeks through his posts on his blog "Science Education on the Edge: Experimenting with student-centered science education". Mr.Ludwig is a "High school science teacher partially proficient in assessment reform, digital portfolios, and makerspaces" as stated in his twitter bio. He teaches La Junta, Colorado at the La Junta High school and Otero Junior College. From what I have read on his blog, it seems Mr.Ludwig builds his pedagogy around student inquiry. He endorses maker-spaces, e portfolios, and student blogs to assess his students understanding of content. His posts constantly reflect what seems to be the most recent movements in education as well.

I chose to follow Mr.Ludwig since it seems he is constantly updating himself on the what`s new in ed. He seems very intelligent in his application of new movements and is realistic in the benefits and pitfalls of these movements. His interests seem to align with my own as well; he teaches science and enjoys coding and teaching coding. I also would really like to build an inquiry based environment for my future students to learn in as well and his posts have given some insight as to what I can expect from it.

One of the things I have learned from Mr.Ludwig's blog is the types of challenges and opportunities that arise when providing a student-centered, maker-space classroom. There are many points that could be touched on here but the most important I found was how Mr.Ludwig decides to assess his student understand. He follows up at the end of the year with a interview about what they feel they deserve for a letter grade. The interview revolves around a rubric that is introduced and negotiated at the beginning of the term. I like the idea of  having an interview for student assessment but I don't believe it would work for Manitoba reporting requirements. I think if were to run this type of class I would have to include some sort of written submission for grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment